Hospital Psiquiatrico Nacional Panama City, Panama
The Hospital Psiquiatrico Nacional is the major psychiatric institution in Panama and it is located in Panama City. The hospital was established in 1933; before this mentally ill patients received care in a ward at Ancon Hospital. The original name for the hospital was Retiro Matias Hernandez in honour of the man who donated the land for the hospital. The name was changed to Hospital Psiquiatrico Nacional between 1940 and 1950 (the precise date varies).
The hospital has progressed significantly over the last half century, investing in humanising and providing dignity for the patients in its care and developing a Comprehensive Care Centre (ISC) in 2003 to aid with long term care (this can facilitate 45 people) and short term crisis interventions (ten beds). The hospital is also home to the National Institute of Mental Health, which is a reorganisation of the hospital’s existing Centre for Addiction Research and Treatment. The hospital is under the jurisdiction of the Panamanian Ministry of Health.
The hospital offers comprehensive psychiatric care by focussing, not only on long term patients, but by focussing on the diagnosis, intervention and rehabilitation of those suffering from mental health issues such as depression. It is also a centre for rehabilitating those suffering with addictions, such as drugs and alcohol, and those who are both mentally ill and abusing substances.