Mandeville Regional Hospital (Projects Abroad) Manchester, Jamaica
Mandeville Regional Hospital is located in the centre of Mandeville. It is adjacent to the Mandeville Comprehensive Clinic and a private hospital (Hargreaves Memorial Hospital).
Mandeville is one of the most prosperous towns in Jamaica. It is famous for its rolling hills and cool climate. Mandeville is a quiet, lovely town, with friendly people and beautiful surroundings.
Mandeville Hospital is a Type B Hospital situated in Mandeville Town Centre. At a Type B Facility, the services include medicine,
surgery, obstetrics, gynecology, mental health, Accident and Emergency, Orthopedics, Ophthalmology, Ear Nose Throat, Operating theatre with adjoining Critical care. Other supporting services are: dietetics, lab, ambulance service, outpatient clinics, physiotherapy, radiography.
It provides inpatient and outpatient services in the four basic specialties; general surgery, internal medicine, obstetrics and gynaecology, and paediatrics.
In 1877, the Hospital first opened its doors to offer healthcare to the people of this town and its environs, with a compliment of 26 beds. This was a legacy of the British, who once occupied the original structure as an army.
The old barracks along with the adjoining lands were donated by the British government to the Government of Jamaica with specific instructions that the buildings should be used to house public healthcare services for the people of the town of Mandeville and its environs.
In 1938, the small hospital was expanded with the addition of tuberculosis wards. The new wards provided accommodation and facilitated inpatient care for those suffering from a disease which was quite common during that period.
In 1955, there was further development as the sum of £20,000 was spent to build a new hospital to meet the healthcare needs of the growing population.
Then came the fateful Kendal Train Crash which occurred just about eight miles away from Mandeville in 1957. This event played a pivotal role in further development and expansion of services at the Hospital in response to the crash. The outpatient services, which were up to that point offered offsite, had to be relocated to the Hospital grounds where the service has remained and been well-used ever since.
As the social landscape of Jamaica changed, there was a growing desire among prospective/expected mothers to have their births handled within the confines of a hospital. To satisfy this need, a maternity department with a compliment of 40 beds and 3 semi-private rooms was opened in 1964.
Four years later, there was still further expansion when a new floor was added to house medical and surgical wards, and an operating theatre. Mandeville Hospital was never quiet for very long, as over the years, the records show a continuous path of efforts to offer better service in better facilities, hence, there were always building projects interspersed with relatively brief periods of quietness.
With the decade of the 1970s came three major developments: in 1971, new modem X-ray equipment was added to improve diagnostic services; the outpatient department began to offer a wider range of services which comprised of Surgery, Medicine, Ophthalmology, Psychiatry, Dermatology, Dentistry and Dietetics. In 1978 the drug window services came into operation.
In that same decade, in 1977 at the One Hundredth Anniversary of the Hospital, a building fund was launched in a bid to have a Paediatric ward added to the Hospital.
In the mid 1980s, another new service was added when the Fertility Control Unit became functional. This service complimented the family planning efforts, which were offered in primary healthcare in the parish and exposed patients to new perspectives on planning their families.
There were developments which benefited staff as well. This hospital has three sets of staff living facilities, one dormitory-type nurses’ quarters which was the first to be constructed, and two sets of apartment buildings, Viking Hall and Viking Court facilities which provide more private and individualized accommodation for more members of staff.
In 1997 under the National Health Sector rationalization progamme, The Mandeville Hospital was redeveloped and refurbished at a cost of JA$700 million dollars.
In July 2000, the new section of the Hospital which stands as a showpiece and landmark in central Jamaica was completed and the services offered in the old Hospital were transferred to the new building that now exists. During this time, the Mandeville Public Hospital was upgraded and renamed Mandeville Regional Hospital.
The official celebration and dedication ceremony of the redeveloped and refurbished hospital was held on 3rd April 2001.