Medway Maritime Hospital was originally a Royal Naval Hospital and was opened by King Edward VII in 1905. The hospital cost £800,000 and boasted a main corridor of nearly 1,000 feet in length. The hospital clock tower, which is a local landmark, cost £100 and was built from funds left over from the plastering budget for the main hospital building. Until 1950, Royal Marines police guarded the entrance to the hospital and visitors and tradesmen had to show a pass in order to gain access.
In 1961 the NHS acquired the hospital from the Navy. Buildings and facilities were modernised as part of a £1.5m modernisation scheme and the hospital reopened again as Medway Hospital in 1965. Significant new works over the years have included: the creation of a new orthopaedic block and accident and emergency centre in 1970; a new extension for elderly and mental health services (A Block) in 1990; a new £60 million development which saw the hospital double in size in 1999 when services provided at neighbouring hospitals in Rochester (St Bartholomew’s) and Chatham (All Saints’) were brought under the umbrella of Medway Hospital; and the hospital changed its name in 1999 to mark the start of a new era. The new name ‘Medway Maritime Hospital’ reflects the hospital’s proud naval tradition.
The Medway Maritime Hospital site is now home to a new Macmillan Cancer Care unit, the West Kent vascular centre, a state-of-the-art obstetrics theatre suite, the neonatal intensive care unit, a foetal medicine centre, a dedicated stroke unit and the West Kent centre for urology, and as such, the hospital offers a variety of experiences to elective students.
|Hospital type||District General Hospital|
We also have information about 0 other hospitals close to this location
- Our specialist review of this hospital
- Contact details and information on how to apply
Join TEN now to access more elective hints and tips, case studies, and information on research and teaching opportunities and more.