This hospital is named after Inkosi Albert John Luthuli “Madlanduna- a globally respected leader/spokesman for 14million oppressed, exploited and humiliated South Africans. He received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1961 at the Oslo University. He joined the African National Congress in 1945 and a year later he entered the Native Representative Council, which called for the abolishment of discriminatory laws and demanded new policies towards the African miners’ strike at Witwatersrand and towards the African population. In 1951, Inkosi Luthuli was elected Provincial President of the African National Congress in Natal. He was elected President-General of the African National Congress by his people in 1952. He was fundamentally a militant, disciplined and an uncompromising fighter who had joined and led an organisation of men and women who, like himself, fought to free the people of this country. Through fear of his ideas and uncompromising stand for human rights, the government of the time banned and confined him to the Lower Tukela area from 1952 to 1956. That year he was arrested and charged with High Treason together with other leaders of the liberation movement. H e was trialed, repeatedly banned and arrested until his death on 21st of July 1967.
This hospital is located in Cato Manor on a site bounded by Bellair Road, Edwin Swales Drive, and the N2 outer ring road.
|Hospital type||District General Hospital|
|Local language||Some English|
We also have information about 5 other hospitals close to this location
- Our specialist review of this hospital
- Contact details and information on how to apply