St Martin’s Hospital was founded in 1898, and staffed just one nurse who cared for sick missionaries and their families. Over the next five years the hospital expanded enough so that it could accommodate 305 patients per month.
Today, St Martin’s is a small hospital which caters for a local population of approximately 40,000 people via a mobile medical unit in addition to the facilities at the hospital. It is located on the banks of lake Malawi and contains several wards, including; maternity, paediatrics, male only and female only wards. There is also a theatre and Orthopaedic facilities.
The Hospital is part of the Lakeshore Health Department of Upper Shire Diocese and also has connections to nearby St Luke’s Hospital, although following decentralisation in 2009, it is a secretariat of the Lakeshore Health Services within the Anglican diocese of Upper Shire.
|Hospital type||Missionary Hospital|
|Local language||English and Chichewa|
We also have information about 0 other hospitals close to this location
- Our specialist review of this hospital
- 4 student ratings for this hospital
- Contact details and information on how to apply
Join TEN now to access more elective hints and tips, case studies, and information on research and teaching opportunities and more.