Connolly Hospital (CHB) is a major teaching hospital providing a range of services – acute medical & surgical service, acute psychiatric services, long stay care, daycare, outpatient, diagnostic and support services to a population of 290,000. The Hospital’s catchment area extends into West Dublin, Meath & Kildare. The hospital was originally founded in 1955 in response to the rise in the incidence of tuberculosis. At that time, tuberculosis was treated with exposure to fresh air and sunlight and Blanchardstown was then a rural village several miles from Dublin, making it an ideal location to treat patients suffering from TB. In the early 1960s the introduction of effective antibiotics revolutionised the treatment of tuberculosis and as there was increasing urban development in the area, the hospital was re-roled as a General Hospital in 1973.
Until recently the hospital was known as James Connolly Memorial Hospital, however it was renamed in 2005 as Connolly Hospital Blanchardstown. It is part of Hospital Network 10, a Dublin network of hospitals that offer teaching in addition to patient treatment; the hospital is associated with Beaumont Hospital, Mater Misericordiae University Hospital, Cappagh National Orthopaedic Hospital, Rotunda Hospital and Children’s University Hospital Temple Street.
Connolly has been, and continues to be, an important training facility for medical, nursing and allied health professionals and works closely with several Irish medical schools; the Royal College of Surgeons, Trinity College Dublin and University College Dublin (UCD).
|Hospital type||Referral/Teaching Hospital|
We also have information about 0 other hospitals close to this location
- Our specialist review of this hospital
- Contact details and information on how to apply
Join TEN now to access more elective hints and tips, case studies, and information on research and teaching opportunities and more.