This unique opportunity may be of particular interest and value to those who wish to pursue a future career in NHS management. The programme aims to promote a better understanding of the challenges faced by continuously improving healthcare systems amongst future doctors.
The McKinsey Elective Programme was introduced in 2009 with the aim of encouraging young doctors to become effective clinical leaders. The London-based programme is open to exceptional medical students in their formal elective, with an interest in Healthcare Management. Successful students will have the unique opportunity to work with McKinsey colleagues a mixture of internal and client-based healthcare-related projects.
The programme aims to promote a better understanding of the challenges faced by continuously improving healthcare systems amongst future doctors. This elective opportunity may therefore be of particular interest and value to those who wish to pursue a future career in NHS management.
In addition, participants can benefit from the full range of e-learning and apprenticeship opportunities available at the McKinsey London office.
The medical elective internship program is a non-evaluative, fixed-term programme. An application for the internship program is not an application for employment with McKinsey.
Who can apply?
The McKinsey Medical Elective is open to Medical Students at all UK or Irish Universities.
Exceptional students with a keen interest in healthcare leadership are encouraged to apply for this unique opportunity. The application window will open each year in the spring for applications for the following academic year. No applications will be accepted outside of the application window.
• Must be studying medicine at a recognised medical school in the UK or Ireland
• May apply only as part of their medical school’s formal elective programme
• Should be able to spend a minimum of six – eight weeks with McKinsey
• Should have achieved a grade of 2:1 or higher if candidates have completed an intercalated B.A./B.Sc. (or are graduate students with a previous degree)
• Should have an exceptional academic record with minimum of 360 UCAS points
• Should demonstrate evidence of previous work experience/voluntary work
• Should demonstrate evidence of having attained high-level success in extracurricular activities (sport, arts etc.)
• Should have a proven interest in issues relating to clinical and healthcare management
Application and interview process
Applications will open on Friday 29th March 2019 and candidates should apply by submitting their CV and covering letter by midnight on Friday 7th June 2019.
Successful candidates will be invited to the first stage of the assessment process which is the Problem-Solving Test. Applicants who perform successfully at the PST will be invited for interview. Both the PST and the interview will take place at McKinsey offices in London so applicants should be prepared for these trips. If candidates are unsuccessful at any stage before the interview, they will receive an email. Following the interview, McKinsey will contact the applicant to inform them of the outcome of the interview and provide feedback. Feedback will only be provided after interview (not for the PST).
Candidates should submit the following in their application:
• A CV written in a style appropriate to applying to a consultancy
• One-page personal impact statement outlining a) their reasons for interest and motivations to apply for the McKinsey Medical Elective programme, and b) relevant strengths that would make them good candidates for this opportunity
• Proof of studentship at a medical school
Please include the proposed dates of elective in the covering letter.
A bursary may be available for McKinsey towards the cost of the elective, please ask if you are successful at interview. If you are successful at securing an internship at McKinsey, any work-related expenses incurred during your elective, such as domestic travel and hotels that are required due to client work and are pre-approved, will be reimbursed.
Please note that travel costs incurred for the PST and interview will not be reimbursed. If you secure an internship at McKinsey, you will be expected to find your own accommodation in London and fund this yourself.
|Hospital type||Research Laboratory / Programme|
We also have information about 0 other hospitals close to this location
- Our specialist review of this hospital
- 7 student ratings for this hospital
- Contact details and information on how to apply
Join TEN now to access more elective hints and tips, case studies, and information on research and teaching opportunities and more.