The first hospital in the city of Fort-Royal, later to become Fort-de-France, was a military hospital built at the expense of King Louis XV, which opened in 1722. Today, after several changes, the Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Fort-de-France is composed of four institutions and is an establishment of 1,300 beds. The hospital receives approximately 40,000 patients annually.
Originally the hospital was located on the left bank of the River Cornette on land corresponding to the present Parc Floral de Fort-de-France and was administered by the Sisters of Charity, primarily for the benefit of wounded military personnel. However, anyone could be admitted to the hospital if they could pay the fees for care.
The hospital has undergone many transformations and developments since its inception, but began to take on the form of the current hospital in 1899, when a new hospice located in the district of the Hermitage, opened and offered medical services, surgical and maternity care to all citizens.
The hospital has since become comprised of four institutions;
- The hospital-Pierre Zobda Quitman
- The Women’s House of the Mother and Child
- Albert Clarac Hospital
- The Emma Center Ventura
The hospital is also a teaching hospital, an accolade confirmed by an agreement signed in July 1985 with the University of Antilles-Guyane, which turned it into Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Fort-de-France. Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Fort-de-France.
|Hospital type||Referral/Teaching Hospital|
We also have information about 0 other hospitals close to this location
- 1 student rating for this hospital
- Contact details and information on how to apply
Join TEN now to access more elective hints and tips, case studies, and information on research and teaching opportunities and more.